Do you have what it takes to make a hydraulically actuated arm that can pick and place objects, and complete the given task in the shortest possible time, without the use of electronics? Then, this is the event for you!
26th Feb: 10am to 4pm
venue -orion G7
CASH PRIZE WORTH INR 22,000
This event Consist of two stages:
The participants will have to submit an abstract of the design in the specified format on or before 14th Feb 2016 to firstname.lastname@example.org.Template of the specified format can be downloaded here
On campus rounds:
- Cups with letters printed on them will be placed in Zone B of the arena and they should be picked and placed in the Zone A(elevated platform) in sequence to form the exact word.
- Timer will be stopped when all the cups have been arranged to form the right word in Zone A.
- Each team will be granted only 3 trials. If the task is accomplished in all three trials, the best of three timings will be taken. In case of any failure, etc., that particular trial will be used considered used up.
- In case of failure, the team has a maximum of 20mins to fix the problem.
- The participants have to pick coloured blocks (3*3*3 Rubik's cube) from Zone B and place it in Zone A in order to form a given formation before the other team to win the round. No timer will be used, the team which finishes the task first wins the round.
- For SECOND round, no provision of retrial or repair time will be provided Any failure / inability to perform task will result in elimination.
- Regarding the PRACTICE arena, teams may perform dry runs for a duration of 5mins max. Use of the practice arena is unlimited, but will be monitored to ensure all teams have equal opportunities.
Graphic Details of the Arena:-
● Time taken to finish the given task is the basic criteria.
● Other than that minimum number of people operating the arm and aesthetics of the arm have importance in case of ties.
• Submit an appropriate abstract describing the design of the arm before February 14th, 2016.
• The”mechanical arm” should be set up in the staging area before starting the event.
• No part of the arm should cross the demarcating line before the commencement of event.
• The teams are allowed to start operating the controllers only after the start of timer, when instructed by the organizer.
• A team can consist up to 4 members
• The arm should have a stable base and must be able to stand by itself at all positions.
• All the joints of the arm must be actuated hydraulically and must be operated with manual controls.
• The controls must not be mounted on the any of the moving parts of the arm. The controls may be placed on the base or any part of the staging area.
• The participants will be allowed to handle only the controls and not the arm or the cups during the event.
• The participants are allowed to use any material (Popsicle sticks, plywood, etc) to build the arm. Stock arms are not allowed. Electrical or Electronic components such as motors, batteries should not be used.
1. Who can participate ?
Students from any college or university can participate in this competition. You can check out the links given if you need technical help regarding the event.
2. How many members can be there in a team?
Minimum number of participants=2
Maximum number of participants=4.
3. I have graduated from college and am not currently a student. Can I participate in the competition ?
No. Only those participants who have a valid Pragyan id can participate. Pragyan IDs will be issued only to students.
4. Is this event open only for mechanical engineers?
No. This event is open for all branches of engineering and technology because it is a pure science initiative.
5. Do we have to pay registration fee for the event?
No. Registration for this event is free of cost.
6. Do we get certificate for participation?
7. Is there any size limit for the abstract to be submitted?
Abstract file size should be less than 1 MB. Also include your team member's names.
To download information regarding HYDRO click the link below:
1. Ravi Narayanan ‐ 9566159730
2. Kathiravan R ‐ 9500150893
3. Chinnu ‐ 9488624067
To design and fabricate a hydraulically actuated arm, which can pick and place objects and complete the given task in the shortest possible time.
Note: The arm should be capable of stacking at least 5 blocks one above the other
For queries, email
Developed by Delta Force.
Designed by NITT-Design Team.