Inspired by BAHFest, held at MIT Cambridge, we at Pragyan present, Funda-M.E.N.T.A.L,
the Fundas of Mind-blowingly Entertaining Nonsensical Theories About Life.
The objective of the event is to develop a ridiculous yet simple theory, and support it using genuine scientific laws and principles, statistic data, graphs, diagrams or what not.
There is no restriction on the type of theory – from why socks get lost in the washing machine, to explaining how vadas have holes, from how apples could be responsible for suicides or a theory to explain why we sleep in class - the possibilities are limitless. The mind is your playing field.
Round - 1 Deadline extended till 19th February 2017.
Schedule : 4 pm to 6 pm -- March 4, 2017.
CASH PRIZE - INR 20000
There will be two rounds:
1. Abstract Round
Teams will need to submit an abstract of their theory in minimum 500 words. Graphs and diagrams along with the abstract will be appreciated.
Six teams will be shortlisted based on the judging criteria.
Shortlisted teams must submit their final presentations one day before the actual event
The deadline to submit the abstracts is 14th February 2017. Send your abstract to email@example.com
Deadline extended till 19th February 2017.
2. Final Round
Every team has to exhibit its theory in the form of a presentation.
The presentation can be of any format- powerpoint, prezi, video, audio, movie, drama – whatever – the stage is yours.
Each team will have 6 minutes on stage for their presentation. Time limit enforcement will be strict.
Audio and video facilities will be provided.
Teams will also have to defend their theory to the judges when questions are asked.
Evaluation will be done based on the judging criteria
Initial selection of teams and our judges will be grading theories on four criteria:
• Force of Science - How much “scientific” information was brought forward (graphs, real citations, “Research” etc.)
• Artistry - How unexpected and clever the idea and presentation are, and how well the presentation is delivered.
• Parsimony - The simplest theory that explains the most data
• Strength of Defence - How well the theory is defended in front of the judges.
Team of maximum 3 members.
No reproduction of previous theories.
No vulgarity, foul language.
Discourage anything overly grotesque or horrifying.
No major changes from abstract will be tolerated.
Judges’ decision will be final.
1. Do I need three people in my team to participate?
A maximum of three participants, thus, less than that is permitted. If there exists a team with no participants, we shall consider it null and void.
2. Is there a restriction to the randomness of my theory?
If you can phrase it, you can use it. There is no limit to your imagination.
3. What will I be needing for the event?
A theory. And the necessary presentation you have made, to support the same.
Necessary materials you intend on using while presenting.
Yourself, plus the friends or foes that may speak with you.
An imagination. With a dash of scientific mumbo jumbo.
4. What should be the format of the presentation?
It can be anything- a presentation, a play, a stand up piece, audio, video… etc .Necessary technical infrastructure will be provided. Please inform us beforehand of the format of presentation and your requirements for the same.
Also, ensure that you present it within the allotted time and make it as interactive as possible.
5. Can I use media files in my presentation?
Yes. You are free to do so. All forms are allowed, ensuring you stick to the stage time allotted. Please ensure that all media files are compatible and in working conditions well before presenting on stage.
6. How long do I get to speak on stage?
6 minutes is the maximum time allotted for each team to present their theory. Followed by a Q&A session by the judges.
7. Can I use humor in what I present?
8. Must my team members be from my college alone?
No such restriction exists. All you need are Pragyan IDs.
9. Can UG and PG Collaborate?
Yes, they can. A team may consist of anyone pursuing their U.G., P.G., or even Ph.D.
10. What does this event test?
The event tests the following:
• Creativity of the participants-how unexpected or simple the idea is
• Scientific Accuracy of the main theory and its support theories
• Power of rationalization and substantiation
• Presentation skills (to an extent)
11. When will I be informed if I am selected to the next round?
If you are selected for the next round you will receive a mail a month before Pragyan with details of your participation. May the odds be ever in your favour.
The official YouTube channel of BAH! The Festival of Bad Ad Hoc Hypotheses! - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9v7v79mAlvKCrjrJvj-Fww
PS – Here are some of our favourites
The abdominal Torus
Cluster Head -Sasi Kalyan +9791271190
Shankari S +91 87540 97525
Sanjay.R +91 9600640863
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org